The science program officer will collaborate in monitoring, researching, developing, and implementing the foundation’s physical sciences programs including the Kavli Institutes, Kavli meetings, scientific society programs, and other science-related activities of the foundation. Qualified candidates will have scientific expertise in nanoscience or related fields and broad interest in science and its societal impacts. The ability to gather and analyze relevant information, evaluate programmatic processes and challenges, build and sustain partnerships with scientific leaders and identify, develop, and implement programs around unmet needs of the scientific community.
Location: The Kavli Foundation Headquarters | 5715 Mesmer Avenue Los Angeles, CA 90230
Position Type: Full-time, Exempt
Travel Required: 20%
RESPONSIBILITIES AND DUTIES
- Working with foundation staff and the scientific community, develop strategy and programs in support of science and its societal aspects
- Frequent interaction with scientists involved with Kavli programs and Kavli Institutes, participate in periodic on-site visits to evaluate programs, assess current challenges and plans
- Researching and surveying relevant literature, conducting interviews with scientists to understand and develop programs
- Participating and organizing conferences, conference calls, and other events as needed or relevant
- Drafting written analyses, calls for proposals, organizing proposal reviews and making recommendations for funding
- Interacting with external partners and participating on committees as appropriate
- Perform special studies/projects as requested by the president and/or director
- Ability travel in conjunction with job responsibility; minimum 20% travel
- Required: Ph.D. in a nanoscience related field (e.g., chemistry, materials science, physics, or biology) and 3-5 years of related work experience beyond Ph.D.
- Ability to convene, facilitate, and develop trusted relationships among the foundation’s stakeholders
- Familiarity with funding opportunities relating to higher education in science and its societal impacts
- Strong verbal and written communication skills, ability to synthesize and analyze information
- Ability to work as a member of teams consisting of both internal and external stakeholders
- Detail oriented, effectively multi-task, strong follow through and execution skills
- Experience and understanding of academic organizational structures and decision-making processes
- Submit resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- All applicants must complete the Culture Index Survey.
BENEFITS AND SALARY
- Medical, dental, vision, life, 401(k) with match, paid holidays, floating holidays, wellness days and PTO
- The salary range is $160k-$175k DOE
The Kavli Foundation is an EEO employer.
No phone calls or recruiters, please.