October 25, 2010The winners of the USA Science & Engineering Kavli Science Video Contest have been announced. They are:
- 1st Prize: Celena and Chris Chambers of Houston, TX for "Science is Cool: Know Your Science"
- 2nd Prize: Itzell Marquez, Jeselle Guerra, Vanessa Garza and Brianda Flores of Roma, TX for "A Dollar Smoothie"
- 3rd Prize( tie): Amanda MacCartney of Orwell, OH for "Why Science is Cool"
- 3rd prize (tie): Michael McRoskey of Solana Beach, CA for "The Appliance of Science"
- People’s Choice: Emily Forster and Sherry Chen of Potomac, MD for "Colorama"
The USA Science and Engineering Festival challenged students across the nation to make a video that tells us "Why Science is Cool." The video contest received over 100 entries, and the awards ceremony was hosted Oct. 24 in Washington, D.C., by Bill Nye the Science Guy, as part of the festival's Expo on the National Mall. Top prizes include an HD camcorder (first prize), in addition to cash donations assigned to the students' school science or technology programs, WOLFRAM Mathematica visualization software, and Adobe PREMIERE editing software. The first place winners were also provided a stipend for travelling to Washington, D.C. for the awards presentation and the Festival's Expo on the National Mall in Washington, D.C. An estimated 400 people attended the awards presentation, and a million people are estimated to have attended the weekend's Expo dedicated to science.
TOP 10 FINALISTS (in alphabetical order)
Chris and Celena Chambers, Houston, TX "Science is Cool! Know Your Science"
Yanqi Chen Team, York, PA "The Physics of Basketball"
Vanessa Garza Team, Roma , TX "A Dollar Smoothie"
Kelsey Good Team, Bethesda, MD "Why is Science Cool"
Anthony Livingston, San Marcos, CA "Why Science is Cool- Where is Your Lab?"
Nicholas La Joie, Van Buren, ME "Why Science is Cool- Science Experiments"
Amanda MacCartney, Orwell, OH "Why Science is Cool"
Michael McRoskey, Solana Beach, CA "The Appliance of Science"
Belén Mella, Sunny Isles Beach, FL "Science Knows it All"
Aishwarya Raja Team, Ramsey, NJ "Science is so Fly"
PEOPLE'S CHOICE Award
Sherry Chen and Emily Forster, Potomac, MD "Colorama!"
The inaugural USA Science & Engineering Festival was a national celebration of science that culminated in a free, two-day Expo on the National Mall in Washington, D.C., October 23 and 24, as well as additional activities nationwide. The Expo featured over 1500 science activities and over 75 stage shows and performances on four stages, in addition to exhibitor events. The Festival is a grassroots collaboration of over 500 of the nation’s leading science organizations. It has a bipartisan Honorary Congressional Host Committee with over 100 Members supporting its efforts.
President Obama Welcomes Everyone to the inaugural USA Science & Engineering Festival
- USA Science & Engineering Festival - Home Page
- USA Science & Engineering Kavli Science Video - Home Page
- USA Science & Engineering Kavli Science Video - Blog